Saturday, August 2, 2008

First nite in laos


Day 5 of travelling, finally arrived Laos (border). I have been out of civilazation for couple days, so can only update my journey until I arrived luang Prabang. But I m continuing my travel diary from day 5.

Woke up 745 in the morning Chiang Mai to catch the 830 bus at the Arcade bus station to Chiang Khong (the thai border to Laos). It was a 6 hours bus. I grabed some stewed chicken balls n sausages at the station n there I started. It was a plesant ride. quite comfy actually. There were few stops I can go toilet n had an ice-cream on the way.

Arrived Chiang Khong at around 345pm. Shared a tuk tuk with a German tourist. Less than 5 mins we arrived the pier. We were lucky we jus missed the rain. The sky was super blue and amazingly beautiful. We took a long tail to cross the Mekong river. Timelessly I m in Laos. (YAY!!) Here I was in Huay Xai (the laos border)

The first impression is ppl are indeed very friendly. I learnt how to say "hello" (Sa ba di) and "thank you" (kap chai) soon after i arrived the immigration.

Me and 3 british girls and a pair of british couple walking along the main road n decided to stay at the Amarid gst hse. It is 200m away from the slow boat river. The guy in the hotel was super friedly n helpful. A lot advise how to avoid being ripped off n where to stay in Pak Beng (our next destination before arriving Luang Prabang).

After settling down, we went for food. We had that super juicy bbq duck n beer laos. That was delicious :D It was so far my most tasty meal in this trip. Only HK$25 each! We then walked up to the Wat Jom Khao Manilat, a temple overlooks the town n the river, which was contructed in 1880. The monks were super friendly. We took pix of them n they took pix of us. There was one monk with tattoo all over his arm n smoking a fag while chatting with us. How awesome!!

Later the evening we chilled out at a bar by the river checking out our first sunset in Laos. Very calm n very quiet this town. (apart from those laos pop music they were playing at the background...)

We had an early nite. Outside started pissing again, non stop whole nite. It was only 930pm, but it was bed time for me now.

No comments: